2013-06-02

Transporting a Phantom

Albeit the DJI Phantom quadcopter is light and small in size, you always need to carry additional things you'll need, such as the transmitter, battery packs, et cetera. In order to have all things ready that one may need on a trip I went for a transport case. Luckily, Globe Flight sells a suitable one, albeit it needs some DIY work.

I immediately order my Phantom transport case together with my Phantom. It was immediately clear to me that I needed one. This transport case is made of plastics, yet quite rigid. You will immediately notice its weight. If you want to take your RC flyer on an airplane, you will need to look for some other transport case that is more lightweight.

The inlays of the transport case need DIY work, as you need to make cutouts according to your specific needs. I took Globe Flight's product photo as my model but did several cutouts different, as I had slightly different needs.

Phantom flight case.
    In particular, I made cutouts for spare propellers and landing gear. I also made cutouts for the battery charger, cabling, and transmitter batteries. This way, I just need to grab the transport case when going on a trip, and everything will be available and ready.
    Important! In case you plan to flight in Germany, Switzerland and several other countries using a wireless flight point of view systeme: don't! At least in these countries you as the pilot of your flight model strictly must fly on plain visual sight at any time. Any transmission system is not allowed for flight control.

    Of course, my flight case also stores my model flight global insurance card. Hopefully, I won't ever need it.

     My flight case is roughly organized as follows:
    • The top foam layer has pimples and is fixed to the lid of the flight case. I had to trim it down to roughly less than half of its original width. For fixing I'm using self-adhesive velcro strips. Place the foam such that it doesn't presses on the motor axis and propellers of the Phantom. Yet, it should keep the Phantom and the transmitter in place by gently pressing on their housings.
    • The top foam layer for the bottom part is already pre-cut with a laser so you can easily pop out individual pieces to form compartments. Please take a look at the picture above to see how I'm organizing this foam layer. Click on the picture to enlarge it.
    • I've then cut out suitable parts from the middle foam layer, mostly matching compartments in the top foam layer. A white marker pen helps to mark the proper regions. I've left out cuts for the charger unit and the transmitter battery compartments as these shouldn't be too deep.
    • I've found the bottommost foam layer to be too thick. So I replaced it with a 20mm thick foam layer I've got from a local hardware store. I didn't cut out any compartments. However, to make the landing gear of the Phantom slightly sink into it, I cut two grooves into it where the landing gear is. It is already sufficient to simply cut into the foam, as there's no need to cut a proper groove. Don't cut through the layer, just score it.
    In the meantime, Globe Flight announced that they will be also offering a slightly different transport case, now coming with suitable cutouts, thus reducing DIY work.