2016-01-01

Screencast Recording on Linux

Recently I needed to record some raw footage for my screencasting projects, this time recording from a Linux system. This system happens to be my power-horse video editing station with a 27" screen attached, with 2560×1440 pixels (in 16:9). So the frame size is beyond FullHD, which is 1920×1080: the maximum my HD rocket can record.


There are actually several screen recording applications available for Linux. After some tests I've settled down for vokoscreen. Behind its scenes, vokoscreen relies on ffmpeg, as many other screen recorders also do. Of course, real power users do it on the command line. At least that's what they think. I couldn't care less, so I'm playing the Sissy and enjoy sticking to a graphical user interface.

The Vokoscreen screen recording software.

One reason for choosing vokoscreen is that it has a simple, yet versatile configuration screen. In its five tabs you can easily configure all the things you'll need the most often. There are sections for screen, audio, video, file and app configuration, and finally throwing in a webcam view.

What really got me hooked is how well capturing a screen region is done: as you can see in the screenshot above, vokoscreen gives you a nice selection frame that you can resize and drag around as you please. This is there other screen recording software usually gets less sophisticated.

You can configure vokoscreen to unobtrusively sit in the system tray for easy start and stop of screen recordings.

The only thing I'm missing is control of the recording bitrate and thus of the recording quality. However, my test recordings of my 2560×1440 screen were satisfying in terms of image quality.

Vokoscreen is in active development and available in the package archives of many distributions.